Starting Thursday, January 9, 2020, Thursdays, 6:30 p.m. -- 7:15 p.m., January 9, 16, 23, and 30, 2020. Instructor: Stayce Jensen
A compliment to Puppy Great Start and Dog Stars. For puppies up to 1 year old.
Bring to class: mat, lots of treats, leash & collar/harness, a toy
Everyone wants to give their puppy the best care possible, but where does conditioning/exercise fit in?
Engaging our puppies in new, fun, and challenging activities while building our bond with them and building their confidence is a goal every pet parent has. We also learn quickly that a tired puppy is a happy puppy! Our Puppy Gym class will help you accomplish all of this, while also having important physical benefits for your dog.
Puppy Gym will teach your dog to move from its core while actively stretching and developing its muscles by using various exercises and tools, such as platforms and balance discs. We will set up different stations each week with different exercises so you can learn a variety of ways to work with your dog at home. The class will reinforce positive training while exercising and building stronger bodies.
Topics covered in this class include:
- What is body awareness and why is it important?
- What is core strength and why is it important?
- How can conditioning benefit your young dog?
- Age appropriate exercises - What is safe and at what age? What equipment and exercises should be avoided for the first three months/six months/year?
Numerous benefits of this class:
- Canine conditioning for short periods of time as early as eight weeks is beneficial for confidence building and strength building. The soft surface of fitness equipment is safe and beneficial to the growth plates and skeletal system.
- Puppies gain balance, coordination, and body awareness
- Positive training basics are introduced/reinforced
- Strengthens puppy's hind end
- It's reinforcing for nervous dogs to get used to unstable surfaces. (This can help dogs overcome motion sickness when riding in cars.)
- You can’t get this type of core strength from walking, jogging, swimming; it’s all about unstable surfaces and safe, controlled exercises.
- Enhance your relationship with your dog!